New York - A Paradox!

A beeuutiful woman, tall, thin, dressed to the nines in an above the knees royal blue skin tight dress shimmering in the sun, walking with ease in her six inch heels, passed me on the street this morning. As she approached I envied her figure, and as she passed, I thought, "Well, he could have at least shaved off his goatee!"

I've taken to carrying my tape recorder with me, too many unique moments and overhearings to not share with you. Here are only a few:

"Where do you work?" "Over by the fucking church."
"I've only got a fucking half hour for lunch."

I took a walk down Park Avenue at lunch time today. It's a beautiful walk, especially around the upper 40's, the modern skyscrapers that house the Fortune 500 companies are intriguing. On a sunny day, when the sun is reflecting off the glass and steel it's mind boggling. What's even more mind boggling, at around noon when employees are sitting outside on the building walls (no chairs are provided for them!), having lunch, in between bites and mouth fulls, you can easily overhear conversations that would turn your grandmother's face red. The most common words I heard, or at the least the one's that caught my attention, especially when said by a guy smartly dressed, or a woman in furs and heels, were "fuck" and "shit." If that makes you feel uncomfortable, guess how I feet coming from a sparsley populated community and protected from personal conversations by driving everywhere! 

The conversations and vocabulary heard on Park Avenue were no different from what's heard on Eighth Avenue, or the lower eastside, Spanish Harlem, on Madison Avenue or in the Bronx or out in Queens. When I left New York over 40 years ago, you'd be shocked to hear the words used today on the streets, unless you were in certain neighborhoods or at home having a fight. Well, things have changed! And if you don't like it, "You can kiss my fucking arse!"
(If you find that uncomfortable, stay away from NYC!)