Mean Greens 8/30/10

Dinner was just about ready when I noticed there was no salad. Mom needed her vegetables. I dashed out the door and hopped over to the local supermarket a few blocks away, picked up a head of Romaine lettuce for Mom and a box of mixed greens for me. Yesterday the box of greens was $2.99, today $3.99 at the same store! What causes these sudden leaps? Heading for the cashier I had three lines to choose from, like driving, I chose the lane that seemed to be moving faster. But just before I got to the cashier all hell erupted and the cashier called for the manager. The customer before me had short-changed the new cashier. She and the manager ran after him while I waited and waited, watching the two other lanes move full speed ahead. Expecting kindness I made a request of a customer with a full cart   on an adjacent line, "While the thief is being apprehended, could I step ahead of you and pay for my two, yes, only two items? My mother's waiting at home for dinner."

The customer, appearing as hungry as my mother waiting at home, glared at me. I waited saying nothing, hoping, waiting for her to get in touch with her compassion. She finally did, and within minutes I was home with a handful of greens and warmly welcomed by Mom, "What the hell took you so long?"